Thursday, April 14, 2005

You have done a great job for me

When searching for long lost friends, especially late in life, you should always be prepared for unfortunate news. There is the positive side though when you can put closure on searches you have been making for a number of years.

Here is an email I recently received from someone I was helping find their old shipmate. I have deleted the names for their own privacy.

The email reads .....

________________________

Things have moved on in the meantime; I telephoned XXXXX immediately on receiving your advice by telephone on 3 February and, sad to relate, my old shipmate ZZZZZ died about ten years ago and had I been able to locate him early on in my search for him we should have had a couple of years at least back together again. However, I wrote a lengthy letter to XXXXX on 22 February as a result of which I received an e-mail on 8 March from one of ZZZZZ's sons who sent his thanks for giving his mother something to think about and she is working on a project of bringing me up to date with information about ZZZZZ. In fact I received a letter only a couple of days ago from XXXXX herself saying she has been unable to write before due to several commitments and that I shall hear from her again in April. Her son sent at my request a photocopy of a photo of XXXXX taken when he was in his 70s and I replied that he looked exactly as I remembered him all those years ago.

So you have done a great job for me in finally putting me in touch with XXXXX's wife........

Thank you very much for your help.

Best wishes

YYYYY

________________________

Don't forget I'm here to help you with your searches.

Cheers

Robin