Friday, April 29, 2005

A Tribute to 508 Field Park Company

Read about the power of google and how someone found that their nephew who was killed om this very day 60 years ago was in my royal engineers unit unit.

As we celebrate the end of ww2 sixty years on let us remember how unlucky he was to lose his life for freedom only one week before the end.

Cheers

Robin

_____________________________________

Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 1:40 PM
Subject: 508 Field Park Company
Robin,

Forgive my unsolicited e-mail, but I have just come across your very interesting outline of life in 508 courtesy of "Google".

I have been looking for many years now, for the part that 508 played in the NW Europe campaign, because my uncle, Trevor Giltinan was a sapper with them, employed as a carpenter and joiner.

He embarked from the UK on the 20 June 1944 for Normandy and was killed in action 60 years ago today at about 1730 hours.

I have the notification of his death from the Royal Engineers record office in Brighton, together with a letter posted to my grandmother by a Major R.G.D Vernon R.E describing his last day, where he been employed repairing bridging on the River Elbe at Lauenberg, before being killed by an anti-personel shell that burst near him.

Trevor is now buried in the British military cemetery at Soltau (Becklingen) in Germany and it is my intention to visit his grave next year.

Anyway, thank you very much for sharing your experiences with those of us still researching the details and not forgetting the sacrifices made by so many and especially for me, on this the anniversary of my uncles death.

Kind regards,

Terence Giltinan.